'Fynbos Phil', the expert on Invasive Alien Species!

Did you know? South africa has world-leading environmental legislation! 

One of our Acts is the National Environmental Management: Biodiversity Act (Act number 10 of 2004) specifically looks at how we should protect our extraordinary biodiversity and its many benefits. The Act (NEM:BA) also defines how we should treat invasive alien species (which impact negatively on our biodiversity) by listing them in categories depending on their impact. In a nutshell:

  • Category 1a Species are of highest concern and require immediate  removal. These are not allowed to be grown in the country (or the provice of listing).
  • Category 1b Species are also of extremely high concern and require their populations to be controlled (or removed, if possible)
  • Category 2 Species are of high concern but often have economic benefit (some of these have agricultural benefit) and so they are allowed to remain only after a successful application for a permit.
  • Category 3 Species are the lowest level of concern and while they may not be propogated, sold or relocated, they are allowed to remain where they are currently found (gardens or parks)

Because of the sensitivity of riverine environments, ANY listed species found growing within the 1:100 year flood line automatically becomes classified as a Category 1a

Did you know? As a landowner, you are responsible for notifying the authorities of listed invasive species on your property?

This is done by submitting a Declaration of Invasive Species form to the Department of Environmental Affairs. A copy of this declaration must accompany your other documentation to the Registrar of Deeds when selling a property.


That's where I come in. As an expert in invasive species with a wealth of knowledge and experience, I am certified to be able to compile and submit a Declaration of Invasive Species form for your property. My service includes the formal Declaration (including its submission to the Department of Environmental Affairs) as well as a report for you (or the buyer) as to which species require removal (and by what methods). I am also available to project manage any removals, should these prove necessary.

Declaration of Invasive Species

NEM:BA Regulations published in October 2014 compel owners of property to submit an official Declaration of Invasive Species form. This form is submitted to the Department of Environmental Affairs by the consultant and a copy is forwarded to both buyer and seller for their records. The seller also submits a copy of the Declaration to the Deeds Office together with the other documentation required for the transfer of ownership of property (like your electrical compliance certificate, for example). 

Invasive Species Consulting

Most people are unaware of what invasive alien species are, much less which they have on their property ofr what to do about them!

I will compile a report for your records of what species I encountered on your property and detailed instructions about how to go about their control or removal (if required by the Act). Category 3 species are allowed to remain where they currently find themselves in most cases, so you need to know which these are if you want to avoid removing them unnecessarily. In some cases, a permit can be applied for in order to keep Category 2 species. I will assist with the compilation of the certificate documentation including a motivation on why said species should be allowed to remain. 

In addition or in concert with the above, I can also compile a management plan for a property which will detail how and when species of concern are to be controlled. 

Project Management

Many propoerty owners have their own- or have access to teams capable of invasive species control; others, of course, do not. 

I offer a Project Management service where I will coordinate (and/or source) a team to perform any required invasive plant clearing or maintenance on a property. 

Category 1a species require immediate removal while Category 1b species require immediate efforts to control their number and/or spread. If you have these kinds of plants on your property, you need to make a plan to either get rid of them or bring them under control. This is now possible with my management plan and project management services. 

Copyright© 2009-2018 FynbosPhil All Rights Reserved